Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

I have a tenancy agreement with the landlord. there is

Customer Question

I have a tenancy agreement with the landlord. there is another person living who is not a tenant he is a flatmate. i have given him 2 weeks notice but he is refusing to move out and is not paying rent as well. how can I legally kick him out once his notice period is finished?
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Flatmates don't have the same rights as a tenant,most if you have given him two weeks notice, and he won't leave, then you can do a number of things. Once the notice has expired, then you can tell him you will move his things outside the flat and change the locks. You could also give him a trespass notice and tell him if he doesn't respect this you will ask the police to enforce this.