Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

Employment contract says I work shifts in conjunction with

Customer Question

Hi employment contract says I work shifts in conjunction with other staff (no sequence/cycles of shifts mentioned) However for the last 4 months I have been working 2 weeks on 1 week off.My employer came to me (without consultation) and said he was reducing the number of shifts and hours I would work Is he allowed to do this ?
Regards
Ian
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

He should consult with you about changes like this. Normally an employment contract can only be changed with consent of both parties, and so if this has been the pattern of work, and they want to change this then you can claim a personal grievance, especially where there is no consultation. If they had a change in the amount of work, and consulted you, then if this was needed because of the reasonable requirements of the employer then this would be permissible. But just changing is unfair without discussion.