Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

My daughter 16 was employed aprentership. Still under 90 day

Customer Question

My daughter 16 was employed for hairdressing aprentership. Still under 90 day trial. On 11.80 an hour. When a hairdresser from her salon gives her training in the salon in her working hours, the salon owner is docking my daughters hours. Is this the law.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

This can depend on the contract, but I think this is quite likely to be illegal. Under the Minimum Wage Act they generally cannot do this. The problem will be that if she raises any issues then she is at risk of being fired which is easy under the 90 day trial contracts. But if she wanted to, she could contact a labour inspector from MBIE to intervene and check the wages, and the employer would likely be required to pay her properly. But she may then lose her job of course.