Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

I need to ask if I had previously given my ex my email

Customer Question

I need to ask if I had previously given my ex my email password, is it unlawful for them to still access the account?
Also, can any emails found be used against me if there is something slightly criminal?
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

It is not legal to access your email. But if they discover you have done something criminal they could report this to the police, who could get a warrant to access the email. You need to change the password ***** you haven't already, and perhaps delete anything you don't want others to read.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. And what if it was reversed though and I had discovered the emails. If I was to report it would there be any fall-back on me for being in the inbox?

If it is your email then that is legal.but if you hacked her email, this could rebound on you