Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

I've got myself into trouble and I have been arrested of a

Customer Question

Hi Chris, So I've got myself into trouble and I have been arrested for misuse of a telephone. It is essentially over abusive texts and repetitive calling to my ex following breakup... What is the likely outcome at court, is discharge without conviction achievable?
Category: New Zealand Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Chris, So I've got myself into trouble and I have been arrested for misuse of a telephone. It is essentially over abusive texts and repetitive calling to my ex following breakup... What is the likely outcome at court, is discharge without conviction achievable?Maybe I should elaborate on that. I've done some research and it really comes down to the impact of a conviction outweighing the seriousness of the crime (or similar) and I can provide some mitigation. So I am currently a professional and actively seeking new employment, i fear that a conviction may impact my job prospects. If I admit guilt, actively seek an anger management course and state the impact on my employment prospects will this likely lead to discharge without conviction or am I just dreaming?Also, do you thing in these circumstances that hiring a good lawyer will be beneficial or will a court appointed lawyer be able and keen to do this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im in New Zealand FYI
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

It is quite possible to get a discharge without conviction. You will need to instruct a lawyer, because although this is not a particularly serious charge, the paperwork for obtaining the discharge without conviction is substantial. You need to make a formal application with affidavits in support, and set this all out to make it clear that the defect of the conviction would far outweigh any court imposed penalty. Generally for something like this you would be given a fine. The issue is however whether the conviction is going to affect your job or job prospects. It is unlikely to cause travel difficulties however, because it is not in the category of cases which most countries impose travel restrictions (drugs and violence). If you don't have a lawyer I can certainly suggest good and reasonably priced advocates in Wellington

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
please, who do you suggest?

Try ringing Val Nisbet at 04(###) ###-####/p>