Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

My father died in2010 leaving all s possessions and property

Customer Question

My father died in2010 leaving all his possessions and property and capital with my stepmother.There were no children of the marriage and me and my Sister and 2Brothers are the children of our Fathers' first marriage.A will was drawn up when my father was still alive but anew will was drawn up after his death.The new will was made when my stepmother was living with her sister and bar a $5000 gift to each of us children and a $10000 gift to a mentally ill friend of my stepmother .The new will left the rest of my stepmothers' estate to her sister.Bearing in mind that my stepmother was ill and of doubtful soundness of mind is it possible to contest the provisions of the new Will.I am residing in Australia and living on a disability pension and am all but destitute(live week to week)
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

You cannot contest the stepmothers will as you should have challenged your fathers will. It will be too late to challenge his will now however. So I am sorry to have to advise that you cannot now make a challenge to her estate