Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

I need to put something in place to stop my wife taking my

Customer Question

Hi, I need to put something in place to stop my wife taking my son out of the country.....how can I do this ASAP? Thank you Lee XXXXXX
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

You need to contact a lawyer and get a CAPPS alert placed with the Customs at the airports. This will prevent this. If you don't have a lawyer I can suggest names in your city.

• It usually takes two to three working days to get an order. These orders are given priority in the Family Court if there is some urgency. They can be made within hours in an emergency situation.
  • You need to talk to your lawyer about the time you think you have before your child could be taken out of New Zealand. It is up to your lawyer to make contact with your nearest Family Court and ask for an emergency hearing time if necessary.

If the child doesn't have a passport then both parents need to consent to a passport application, so refusing consent is the simplest way forward while you are then sorting the parenting and contact issues