Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

Copyright law: I am setting up a web store selling cloth

Customer Question

Copyright law:
Hello. I am setting up a web store selling cloth nappies imported from China. I am mostly buying direct from manufacturer (JC Trade/ AnAn Diapers & Pujiang Longxiang Industry & Trading Co) and some through Alibaba.
Some of the cutest, potentially popular prints feature Disney & other cartoons (eg Minions) that may be covered by copyright & licensing laws...? What are the rules?
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

You will need to be careful about the use of any images from companies such as Disney. They are generally vigilant about copyright and the licensing issues, and you need to ensure that the manufacturer has an appropriate license from any company who owns any of these images. If you do not have a license, then they can prevent you from selling the goods, intervene with Customs when they are imported, and even get the goods destroyed if there is no license. So you need to ensure that the company who sells them to you has the licences where ever any such images are used. You are also likely to need licences to sell using the images in New Zealand. These can be negotiated of course. You would need to contact their local representatives and negotiate appropriate fees.