Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

I am an NZ citizen. My potential partner who is a sri lankan

Customer Question

I am an NZ citizen. My potential partner who is a sri lankan citizen and would like to migrate here permanently to live with me. She is a doctor by profession (only 2 years experience and i believe she has to do exams here to practice here). She is pending divorce and i am currently separated pending divorce too.
What are her options? We have not been living together, but i have a relationship with her and intend to marry her as soon as I'm divorced. What are her pathways of coming here? Can she get the work permit straight away or do i need to marry her first?
Thanks
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Marriage is not important in making an application because the test is the length of time of the relationship, not the marital status. It is fairly essential to show the 12 months together for a partnership based visa, and there is no way to avoid this. An internet or telephone based relationship is not eough as you must have 12 months together.

So the better course would be a work visa and for this she would need a job offer, which may not be possible in her profession, until she has passed the qualifying exams. So a student visa may be better to enable her to come here study and sit the exams, then get a job offer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can she get a work permit straight away? She wants to come in April and we would have been in a relationship for year by then, but not living together per say. What are the ways of getting a work permit? Can she also apply using the skilled migrant category? Is this possible?

To get a work permit she would need to get a job offer in the skill shortag I don't think testinge categories. This will depend on what she can offer. Here is the link to the page-http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/6954.htm

The relationship has to be living together, not a long distance relationship.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
for the time being she can get a study visa then after 12 month she can apply for partner visa? or a work permit if she gets a job? Is this correct? she plans to do an exam here which will enable her to get a job but that's not guaranteed,because most employers don't offer job without work permit.So what is the best way forward for her.I'm assuming she can apply for partner visa after 12 months. How long is study visa?Can she also get visitors visa for 3 months to fill the time

She could apply for a visitors visa to sit the exams or a student visa, depending on how long this takes. After you have lived with her for 12 months you can apply for a partners visa. She could also apply for jobs when she has the qualification, and then apply for a work visa.