How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 22687
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Of an Internet and print publisher, "Scientific Journal

Customer Question

I am Director of an Internet and print publisher, "Scientific Journal Publishers Ltd".
We also have a trade name "Society for Personality Research"
We publish internationally ten times per week online and in print. We were established in 1973
Is there a legal process for establishing a trade name that needs to take place for the trade name to be validated?
Thanks ***** Editor-in-Chief,
Social Behavior and Personality: An International Journal
Director, Scientific Journal Publishers Ltd
Thanks *****
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

You can seek a trademark for the names, under the Trademarks Act. This is usually done with the help of a trademark lawyer although you can apply yourself. The site where you can do this is

Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

You also have copyright in the names, and can assert this on the website and publications. You don't need to do anything to register this.

Related New Zealand Law Questions