Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

Do I have the right to refuse housing to meth test my house.

Customer Question

Do I have the right to refuse housing to meth test my house. It has never been used as a lab but has been smoked inside. I am about to go into a rehab for 8 weeks and dont need the stress of finding a new place right now. Can I put it off?
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Any landlord has the right to inspect the property on giving reasonable notice. so if they give notice then they can enter at a time which is suitable to both you and the landlord. So perhaps tell them you are seeking medical treatment and will allow them access when you return. But if they insist you will not have much choice. I am not sure how easy it is to wash the parts of the house used for smoking, but you could try that