Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

I have an ex partner who I unfortunately live very closely

Customer Question

Hi, I have an ex partner who I unfortunately live very closely too. I have got to a point where I do not want him to even say hello to me. He is very charming in public but behind closed doors in incredibly derogatory and has no wish to resolve any issues. I have requested that its not going to work for me and I dont want him to talk to me. He has not answered by voice mail and email acknowledging this request, and he won't answer my calls. I really do get anxious about when I may run into him. He buts into conversations that I am having with other people sometimes.
Can I make a formal request through a lawyer for him to not make any acknowledgement towards me?
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

You can do this because when there is psychological harassment, you can get a protection order. The behaviour doesn't seem extreme enough for an order, but you can certainly tell him through a lawyer that attempts to contact you will be seen as harassment and you will seek a protection order if needed