Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

My fiance is remanded convicted I'm custody, he has applied

Customer Question

Hi, my fiance is remanded convicted I'm custody, he has applied for e-bail but was refused, I am a primary witness to the incident, though now that time has passed and I have re-evaluated the incident in my mind over and over again, I don't feel he is at full blame and was aggrovated a great deal. If I wanted to stand and testify on his behalf, under my own choice, how do I do that, also is there anyway I could apply for e-bail for him to be bailed to my home?
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

You certainly can give evidence on his behalf and this will be very helpful in helping the judge reach the right sentence. If he has spent some time in custody, this will be taken on account of the sentence as well. You cannot apply yourself for e bail, but you can support a further application by him, by providing an affidavit in support. If he has a lawyer, you could talk to the lawyer and ask about a further application. If he is on legal aid, you could also talk to his legal aid lawyer and ask about a bail application. If some time has passed, the police may have softened the view as to bail, but it does depend on the previous convictions if any, and the seriousness of the assault.