Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

Can a police man pull you up if you've turned up a driver

Customer Question

Can a police man pull you up if you've turned up a driver way across the road from were he was pulling people up. He walked across the road while we were driving through the gate my partner got out and said we're visiting here and the policeman pointed the machine at him and said breath test and then licence. We received a fine which is all good the fine was cause our rego had run out and we were taking it in Wednesday as we live hour away from town. But can a policeman do that as he has been doing g a lot of out of character behaviour for a policeman thanks kim
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Possibly if you were on private property he could not have asked you to undertake the breath test. If you had refused on the grounds you were then on private property, he could only enter with your invitation. Fortunately nothing came of this. The failure to have current registration is a separate matter of course and you will need to pay that

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thankyou

I hope this is useful