Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

My Daughter who is a Team Leader at Christchurch City

Customer Question

My Daughter who is a Team Leader at Christchurch City Council has been called to a meeting tomorrow by her HR manager concerning disestablishment of her position. She has been told she may bring a support person. Who can she take and does that support person have a right to speak? Must there be minimum consultation in good faith before a final decision is made. Affected staff will be told they can take the rest of the day off but it will be considered sick leave. I regard that decision as monstrous.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

The support person can be anyone she nominates, which could be you, or even a lawyer if you want. But usually the support person will not say much and it can depend on the employer what part they take. The purpose of the support person is not an advocate for the employee, and so their role is to ensure that they are providing moral support in what can be an emotionally difficult time. This does have to be proper consultation, and they are required to listen to any suggestions made by your daughter, although they do not have to accept what she recommends. It is quite common to give people time off for stress relief after an event like this, and this would be given as sick leave.