Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

I am a New Zealand Citizen. My ex wife lives in South

Customer Question

I am a New Zealand Citizen. My ex wife lives in South Africa. Our child used to reside with her mother. When our child was 15 years old she asked to change residence to live with me. Their mother drew up a South African legal contract stating that our child could change residence to live with me on condition that I pay for all our child's expenses, including Independent school fees and tertiary education. And that if I didn't sign agreement our child would not be able to change residence. I signed said contract and have complied with all conditions for over a year and a half. Now that our child has turned 17 years of age, I would like to know whether NZ family law supersedes this arrangement? Our child is now a New Zealand Citizen. And this arrangement was never mirrored in NZ court. Regards Craig.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

As your daughter is 17 there is no need to have court orders any more as parenting agreements are not usually made after age 16. The maintence obligation does continue until she turns 19, so you could apply for this in the New Zealand court or through inland Revenue who collect child support in New Zealand. Generally the courts respect agreements such as yours but you can definately seek child support under NZ law