Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

I have a question about superannuation - if you are fired

Customer Question

hello I have a question about superannuation - if you are fired from a job of 26 years do you just get your own contribution or are you entitled to the company share also. The industry in manufacturing and paper
Thanks
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

This can ultimately depend on what is in the employment contract and in the superannuation scheme. Unfortunately some contracts and schemes to permit the employer to withhold their share in this situation. For this reason some employees in the situation of your partner choose to resign so that they keep their superannuation if there is a chance they will otherwise be fired. So your next step should be to check the employment contract and the superannuation scheme to see if this is possible.