How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 22553
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a question about superannuation - if you are fired

Customer Question

hello I have a question about superannuation - if you are fired from a job of 26 years do you just get your own contribution or are you entitled to the company share also. The industry in manufacturing and paper
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

This can ultimately depend on what is in the employment contract and in the superannuation scheme. Unfortunately some contracts and schemes to permit the employer to withhold their share in this situation. For this reason some employees in the situation of your partner choose to resign so that they keep their superannuation if there is a chance they will otherwise be fired. So your next step should be to check the employment contract and the superannuation scheme to see if this is possible.

Related New Zealand Law Questions