Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

To whom this may concern, last year I took my former

Customer Question

To whom this may concern, last year I took my former employer to task on an unjustified dismal as they wanted to make me redundant which was not the case as I had Employment Lawyer present, we settled within 6 weeks to my favor.
My question is former employer paid all legal costs of over $ 10000 plus get, wat transpired was I received an additional invoice from my lawyers of $1600 which I explained my former employer was to pay but they informed me this was additional costs I did not know about which through me, considering they charged out at $350 per plus get I was taken back, I was told by my lawyer that they had not met there target, I was shocked as at $350 plus get there must be great GP, wat can I do
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

If the letter of engagement has the hourly rate that would explain this charge out rate. But if the intention of the settlement was to pay all your legal costs, but they forgot to add these then you should ask why it was not included and that they didnt explain there would be further charges. The lawyer must have a complaints process in the firm, and so first you should make it clear you thought all costs were covered. You can also complain to the Law Society about the charges if you dont get an explanation, and say you thought all costs were covered