Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

My new property manager refuses to give me copy of tenant

Customer Question

My new property manager refuses to give me copy of tenant references. I have asked twice for a co-signed copy of our agreement and the tenants, tenancy agreement. If I have not received a copy is our contract legal
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

I cannot understand why your property manager refuses to give you these details. You have a contract with your property manager to administer the tenancy, and you are entitled to see the documents. If the manager refuses to give you this information, that may be a breach of the agreement with the manager, and may entitle you to cancel the contract with the manager. If there is a signed tenancy agreement it is binding, but you must be able to see a copy to show to your bank and to your account when you prepare tax returns.