Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

We got a Company called dream doors to do a quote our

Customer Question

We got a Company called dream doors to do a quote for refurbishing our kitchen. I went into their website and lodged a request for information. I got contacted by the Auckland central dream doors person. He did a quote which we accepted. We paid him a deposit of 7500. After weeks and weeks of not hearing from him we contacted dream doors head office. They were pretty unhelpful and then we got sent an email from them saying that this guy Kevin was no longer a franchisee and that they accepted no responsibility for him. He
Had benn up on their website as their million dollar franchisee of 2014 which made us feel confident about dealing with them. We have since been told that he sold the franchise in April this year. I contacted dream doors in June. Why was I directed to him through their website. We have contacted his suppliers who have told us that he owes them a great deal of money. Our order hadn't even been placed with them. My question is do dream doors have anything to answer in this. We absolutely thought we were dealing with them not some other company. Our contract has dream doors on it in big letters. They have offered nothing! They are not even interested in talking to us
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

The issue of who you paid the deposit to is probably central to resolution of this problem. If you thought you were paying of the deposit to the company not realising that it was a franchised operation, then you could likely bring a claim under the Fair Trading Act in the Disputes Tribunal for misleading and deceptive conduct, and to sue both the head office and Kevin. You could bring a claim in the tribunal yourself and would not need a lawyer. From your description I also wonder whether there is a criminal element, because if he received the money on account of work, but failed to hold on account, this possibly may be fraud. That would not get your money back unfortunately but could help with the heat on the head office.