Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

I was just wondering if you can give me some advice. My son

Customer Question

Hi I was just wondering if you can give me some advice. My son was caught DIC yesterday but what I can gather he was not over the limit by much. He is not allowed to drive for 12 hours. Anyway he has to go to court on the 28 August. He is doing his nursing degree (and yes he knows he done extremely wrong, but has to face the penalty). Just wondering what he is likely to get and is there a change he will be able to get a work licence as he will be doing his clinical practice and will need to get there as we will be living a fare way to where he has to be. Will it be better for us to hire him a lawyer. This is his first offense. Thanks
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

It would be useful to get a lawyer because in some cases it is possible to get either diversion or a discharge without conviction if you can show exceptional circumstances. Typically for a lower reading he would get a fine somewhere around $500 to $800 plus court costs and be disqualified from driving for six months. He has a one month stand down before he can apply for a work licence, and it would be a good idea to use a lawyer for the work licence. You will have to show hardship to get the work licence, but an experienced of drink-driving lawyer will be able to help with that.