Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

I took my car to a work shop to get a motor last year. And

Customer Question

I took my car to a work shop to get a motor last year. And have given them 6500 turns out they gave me a stolen motor. The owner is going to jail for selling drugs. So they searched his workshop and seized the motor and took all my parts I own with it. I am trying to make them give me his car that's worth the same as mine until mine is done. What can I do...
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately all you can do would be to get a Disputes Tribunal order for your losses and the money you have lost, and then get a court bailiff to seize the goods with a distress warrant. You can also approach the police and ask for your property to be returned, and show where you bought them from. There is a procedure for making an application for return of goods seized by the police if they will not return these to you on a request. But unfortunately this would not apply to the motor, because that would belong to the real owner, and the theft does not give you better title. If they cannot find the owner then you could negotiate with the police to see if they will return this to you. You should also make sure the police know how much money you have lost in this transaction, because when they prosecute the owner, they can get an order for reparation. But it is unlikely that this will return any money to you quickly especially if the owner is going to jail.

None of these remedies will be quick. Let me know if you have any further questions