Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

I purchased a 2nd hand car from a car dealer and its had serious

Customer Question

I purchased a 2nd hand car from a car dealer and its had serious issues ever since.being thst it was as is where is I figured that it had zero warrenty.( Im an australian who has just arived ).I took it to a mechanics in Drury and he said that had either a blown head gasket or a cracked head.but without pulling it apart he couldnt honestly say.so today I rang the dealer and he pretty much said that its my fault.I know I have done nothing wrong.I even had AA come and check it when it over heated and the man said it was fine to drive.where do I stand in a country that appears to protect the seller and not the buyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
If you bought this car from a licensed motor vehicle dealer then you have specific protection under the Consumer Guarantees Act which says that a car you buy must be of appropriate standard, although of course if you bought on an as is where is basis, that does place some burden of proof on you. Even on that basis you have protections under the act and you should tell the dealer that he must contribute to repairs. You can also state to AA that you think their inspection was not up to standard and that they are also covered by the same act. If they refuse to discuss this then you can claim to the Motor Vehicle Disputes Tribunal which can be found here http://www.justice.govt.nz/tribunals/motor-vehicle-disputes-tribunal
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for that info.its a start.I was abit confused..lets just hope the car dealer has a concience
That remains to be seen. But reminding him of the act may help
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We can only hope.thanks mate
Glad to help