Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

I have a race car and purchased a race gearbox which I sent

Customer Question

I have a race car and purchased a race gearbox which I sent to gearbox technician company well known in nz I ask to have gearbox checked over to make sure it was ok to race with they fixed a few things charged me $1500 and gave me there word it was perfect for my use I didn't even get half a day use out of it before it blew up now they trying to charge me to fix it just wondering if I have any rights cheers
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
You do have rights under the Consumer Guarantees Act. Under this act goods and services come with an implied term as to the quality of work. Services provided are also covered and this means that if you believe that the work undertaken the first time was inadequate or negligent, which it appears to have been, then you can ask them to repair at their cost and possibly even refund of the original charges. If they decline, you could take this matter to the Disputes Tribunal