How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 22693
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is there a statute of limitations on child support owed eg;

Customer Question

is there a statute of limitations on child support owed eg; 1990 to 2010 old debt
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
child support 1990 -2000 statute limitations
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my wife left NZ IN 1990 and moved to RSA Republic of South Africa.... where she has no income then moved to Botswana in 1998 as my dependant (spouse} She has not been permitted a work permit or bank account as they are very strict here on non citizens working illegally . I can furnish proof of this, can the IRD still demand payment from her when she has no income?
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
The Child Support Act says that the Limitation Act does not apply. If she was not earring any money then then she needs to negotiate with Inland Revenue with proof of the no income and she is likely to only be liable for the minimum payment. But it is hard to avoid the minimum and she would need to make a case for a write off. However unless she is intending to return to New Zealand they are unlikely to chase her for the money

Related New Zealand Law Questions