Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

My daughter gave her 8 year old daughter to an aunty to look

Customer Question

My daughter gave her 8 year old daughter to an aunty to look after. there were no legal documents signed. She has been in the care of the aunty for 5 months. As the mother and grandmother of this child I want her in my care to be raised with her other brothers and sisters with the approval of my daughter, but the aunty refuses to give her back. What are my legal rights and what steps should my daughter and I take. Please help.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
Without any legal documents your daughter can just collect her child and return her to you. However you may need to follow that with family mediation, to sort out a parenting plan for the child in the longer term. You contact family mediation here
http://www.fairwayresolution.com/got-a-dispute/family-disputes
So you can be direct, but if you think this would be too difficult then approach Fairway and they will help get the mediator involved