Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

There, I have just completed some work lady organising

Customer Question

Hi there,
I have just completed some work for a lady organising seminars for her. She said I would get 2 of her courses for free for helping her. She is now renegging on the deal because she had no partiipants sign up for the courses. I am wondering what to do? It was all organised in a really tight timeframe so some things went wrong as she only gave me 10 days to organise everything and I was picking up a lot of loose ends. She feels that I didn't do enough so she said she will give me the 2nd course for free but when she comes back to NZ which may be in a year. This doesn't suit me as I may not be in NZ then. I am wondering can I bill her for the work I've done (i.e. itemise the hours) or can I bill her for the cost of the courses, and if I do that how many (one or two?). Also how do I create the legal paper trail and make the invoice professional if I need to take her to small claims? Many thanks
Category: New Zealand Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
here is her email outlining what she will provide: Milica informed me that you are interested to help me with the seminars. This would include finding 2 more places for presentations (I am waiting for a respond from 3 more places), to find a place for printing fliers (I will send the artwork and cover costs), leave flier at some places where people might be interested, finding massage tables (Kathe Ross or Lilly might help with that), to drive me and help me during presentations and seminars. Also, if you have in mind any other way of promoting (radio, a meetup group, …).
You will have Tesla Metamorphosis II and III seminars. We need to be able to communicate easier so it would be helpful if you had Skype or Viber. My Skype name is ***** ***** Viber +61###-##-#### ***** give me a call. I am in Sydney (- 2 hours).
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
The basis for your claim may be easiest as the cost that others would charge to attend. So if this was say, $500 for each course for others, then you could easily claim $1000 for the two sessions. You could draft an invoice based on this citing, fee as agreed, and send that.