Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

A body corporate levee notice was issued on Sep 2012

Customer Question

A body corporate levee notice was issued on Sep 2012 for the next calendar year and was divided into two equal installments - one due on Oct 2012 and the other due on March 2013. I paid the first installment on time but was declared bankrupt on October 23, 2012 due to earlier unpaid levees.
I would like to know if I am still liable for the second installment which was due on March 2013 but the invoice for which was issued before my bankruptcy on October 23, 2012?
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
You can send this to the Official Assignee as it is a debt in your bankruptcy, but it can also become a charge on the unit. This would mean when the unit is sold any levies would be paid as a charge
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Alright, the body corporate debts which have already been entered into the bankruptcy, they will expire once I am discharged from bankruptcy - is that correct?

Yes they are written off, but may be charged against the property which is separate from your liability. You are not personally liable but they are still a charge on the property