Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

I got my car back from the workshop after a second hand replacement

Customer Question

I got my car back from the workshop after a second hand replacement engine was installed, total coast $5500. Car broke down with an overheated engine after 10 days and 1500km. Workshop doesn't wane take responsibility before I prove what was the cause of the failure.
Regards, Jorg
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
This does appear to be something which they should take responsibility for. An engine would not fail due to overheating if it was properly installed. What would be useful would be to get another qualified mechanic or even an expert to look at the problem and give you some idea as to the cause and the cost of repairs. If the workshop then refuses to take responsibility, you could bring a claim in the Disputes Tribunal, and from your description it seems likely they would need to pay. If you need help with filing a claim, let me know. This can be done through the local district court or online.