Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

My daughter was followed by a police car with flashing lights

Customer Question

My daughter was followed by a police car with flashing lights and told she was going a bit fast. No ticket was issued. She was shown a photo and asked is this you? It was a photo of her from 10 years ago when she was arrested and drunk at the time as an 18 year old. She has never been in any trouble since and is now a business owner. The officer then smiled at her and said she would be getting something in the mail. This has greatly upset my daughter as we live in a small town. I would appreciate knowing if this is legal and what can be done. Thank you.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
The police do keep records and if she was prosecuted at the time then the computer system will be able to retieve old records like this from her police file. She is likely to get a speeding ticket but that is an infringement, and not a criminal offence. What happened 10 years ago will not affect the ticket, as the only purpose of the photo was for identification. Sadly a consequence of computer technology is the ability to keep such records and access them. This was a lawful use however