Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

I'm been working 1/2 years guy training trotting

Customer Question

I'm been working for 4 1/2 years for a guy training trotting horses, i've had no holidays or days off, i've worked late hours on race night (2am get home) but dont get over time, my boss fails to pay me on time nearly every fortnight, and we never signed a contract, I'm at a point were I've had enough but don't know what to do,
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
You are being exploited and underpaid. Your don't have to work more than 40 hours a week, and you must have weekends or days in lieu. You must also have statutory holidays, and if you have to work, you are entitled to be paid for a day off as well. You are also entitled to 4 weeks holiday a year. It is compulsory to have a written employment contract and your employer can be fined and penalised if he doesn't have one. Normally cases like yours are investigated by a labour inspector from the Department of Labour. They look into the case and this doesn't cost you anything. Your employer will have to pay out holiday and other money due to you. From their site here are the contact details.Search our FAQs or call our Contact Centre on 0800 20 90 20 during business hours. Business hours are 8.30am - 5.00pm Monday to Thursday, 9.00am - 5.00pm Friday excluding public holidays. If calling from overseas call +64 9(###) ###-####