Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

I have applied position with a DHB which I am well qualified

Customer Question

I have applied for a position with a DHB which I am well qualified to do. I believe I more than meet the criteria as outlined in the advertisement and online job description. Although this position has now been advertised twice within the last 4 months I have not been granted an interview. I have an excellent employment record and very good references.
Do I have any right to question why I have been overlooked for interview? I am concerned that my age and experience may be effecting my selection.
Thanks for your input.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
If you can prove discrimination on the grounds of age or gender this would have some value. But getting that proof would be difficult, although you can ask for the information they hold about the job and any reasons which they may have relating to you. But this sort of discrimination is often well hidden, and hard to determine. I suggest you start by seeing if they agree to have a discussion about why you were rejected, and you could so this on the basis that you are trying to learn from this to improve your attractiveness to employers.