Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

I have been in love years and lived with him with

Customer Question

Hi, I have been in love for 14 years and lived with him with my two children and his two children since 2008. He has worked hard to get where he is and we have been able to all enjoy a beautiful life. I have been living at our beach house for last year while he has been back on farm. Up until March we were catching up, I thought workig towards reconciliation. He no longer loves me and wants me gone. He said I owe him because of my great life I've had with him? I've read so much but where do I stand ?
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
There are two aspects to this. The first is the relationship, which may be an issue which is now moved on, so he will not returnThe second aspect is the division of property. Because you have been together two or more years all relationship property has to be shared equally and this means he will need to consider what happens next. The holiday home at least may need to be shared as will the farm. Financial contributions are not the issue. You have two children togethetr and this means he will need to think about this as well. The rules about sharing relationship property are that there are equal shares except in unusual cases and he needs to recognise this. You will need to instruct a lawyer eventually to argue your side as he has instructed his. But you should be able to negotiate something.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry we both have two children from previous relationships. I have been told he has a narcissist personality. The farm is in the trust which my name is ***** ***** to but nearly 3 years ago he was my guarantor for my business. Can he take that or make me sell to finish the guarantor side? Also when you say about us not being in a relationship I only just took off my engagement ring and we were still perceived as being in a relationship on all levels? Publicly, sexually, financially......
It is possible to claim against a trust where you have made contibutions, and recent cases have helped widen the applications for a share in trusts. Your business may be a relationship asset also however so he could claim against that. The other issue, as to whether you are still in a relationship, is not as easy to pin down. To the world you appear to be still in one, and as you describe this, I would say you are still in a relationship, even if this is in trouble at present.