Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

There, I have been living apart from my ex years,

Customer Question

Hi there, I have been living apart from my ex for 5 years, he claims he has no income so pays the minimum child support for 2 children. He has just spent the last 2 1/2 years finishing off the family home which he purchased off me for 600,000 (1/2 its valuation at the time). He has just sold it for 2,000,000. The profit (800,000 less a max of 100,000 expenses). He is self employed and does private architectural jobs which may or may not have been declared. Is there a case to claim child support as his income is from the profit made on the house.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
You should tell Inland Revenue about this profit and tell them this is the money he uses as living expenses. You should also tell them about the private jobs he does and see if you can more details about these so IRD can invesitigate each case
Inland Revenue are always interested when people sell property at a profit, particularly this sort of figure. So all the information you can get about this will be helpful, not just for child support, but also because he may be evading income tax. So flagging the tax issue may help them take interest