How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 22697
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

There, I have been living apart from my ex years,

Customer Question

Hi there, I have been living apart from my ex for 5 years, he claims he has no income so pays the minimum child support for 2 children. He has just spent the last 2 1/2 years finishing off the family home which he purchased off me for 600,000 (1/2 its valuation at the time). He has just sold it for 2,000,000. The profit (800,000 less a max of 100,000 expenses). He is self employed and does private architectural jobs which may or may not have been declared. Is there a case to claim child support as his income is from the profit made on the house.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
You should tell Inland Revenue about this profit and tell them this is the money he uses as living expenses. You should also tell them about the private jobs he does and see if you can more details about these so IRD can invesitigate each case
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
Inland Revenue are always interested when people sell property at a profit, particularly this sort of figure. So all the information you can get about this will be helpful, not just for child support, but also because he may be evading income tax. So flagging the tax issue may help them take interest

Related New Zealand Law Questions