Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

Good morning! I have a question regarding an issue with a

Customer Question

Good morning!
I have a question regarding an issue with a local panel beater. My partner has a 4wd one of the rims cracked and the tyre blew out so he placed a claim through insurance. All the rims were replaced at a local panel beater. My partener paid the excess to the panel beater after he recieved the bill it was around 700. Now the panel beater has re invoced him for a tyre costing 610 he was not asked if this was the type of tyre or if the price was ok before they put it on.
My partener if he had been asked would have bought a cheaper tyre on line or at another local supplier for much cheaper. We have spoken to the panel beater and they refuse to email any details regarding the actual price of the tyre they have said if he pats cash they can drop the price to 536.40. We researched the brand of tyre and can purchase a full set if new tyres for 1000. Is there anything we can do?
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
You can refuse to pay because they should have discussed the different price options rather than just use the most expensive. I suggest you offer s fair price, perhaps the $250 you found was available from others. Then if they refuse tell them to take this to the Didputes Tribunal