Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

Chris I understand that but they are saying that there is

Customer Question

Hi Chris I understand that but they are saying that there is a clause in the contract about misrepresenting the property and they are saying because of the council issues that have now been settled and council acknowledge that the property is a home and
granny flat. There lawyer is still threatening to withhold money. when they pay the bulk of the money at settlement and if they withhold some, can i withhold the keys until they pay the remainder.?
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
You can refuse to settle unless they settle in full. If the issue is resolved then they cannot now deduct the money. Your lawyer will help you negotiate through the process however. But if you settle you will have to give them the keys. So your choice is to settle or not settle.