Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

I have been cheated by a car dealer, paid the whole amount

Customer Question

Hi
I have been cheated by a car dealer, paid the whole amount of money 7000. He did not give the car o the money.
I have reported this to police, do I need to have lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
If you paid this to a licensed motor vehicle dealer then you can continue with the complaint to the police, and if he is prosecuted by the police you should get an order for reparation (ordering hime to repay you) by the court. You can also bring a claim in the Motor Vehicle Disputes Tribunal. You dont need a lawyer for thisIt costs around $50 to file a claim with the Motor Vehicle Disputes Tribunal. Before you proceed, you need to gather some supporting documents; these are detailed on theMinistry of Justice website.You can download a claim form and send it, along with your supporting documents, to:The Secretary,Motor Vehicle Disputes Tribunal,Private Bag 92020Auckland 1142After you have filed your claim, the Tribunal will contact the dealer and ask them to discuss the problem with you and attempt to resolve it. The dealer must supply a written report of the discussion within 14 days. If the claim is not settled at this stage, or the MVDT doesn't hear from the trader by then, a date for a hearing will be arranged.