Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

I work New Zealand government agency and have been seriously

Customer Question

I work for a New Zealand government agency and have been seriously bullied by my manager for a period of 2 years. I have made a complaint to senior management, who did a "sham" investigation that did not follow proper process and discredited me. I recently did a protected disclosure to the CEO about it and he has 5 working days left to do something. They have already admitted breaching the privacy act in respect of health and employment matters. My question is this-What is the best way to get compensation here is New Zealand. I am confused by the roles of of the Human Rights Commission, the Privacy Commission and the Ombudsman. The mediation process of the Employment Relations authority was ineffective and served only to give the regional manager an opportunity to personally attack me. Liz H
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
The Privacy Commissioner through the Human Rights Review Tribunal can award damages before the Tribunal. If there is an occupational safety issue, this can be through the Employment Relations Authority, which can award damages for breach of an employment contract, or sometimes through a prosecution by a Labour Inspector before a District Court for breach of the Health and Safety in Employment Act, and on a successful prosecution, a penalty can be imposed and paid to you.