Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

Can I return a wool cardigan from Country Road if it was washed

Customer Question

Can I return a wool cardigan from Country Road if it was washed in a washing machine and shrunk. The label says hand wash but doesn't say 'only'. It also has a list of dont's like do not tumble dry but does not say do not place in washing machine.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
I think the hand wash instruction means just that. If you decide to use another method, with this warning, then that is your responsibility. Under the Consumer Guarantees Act the garment must be fit for purpose and carry instructions where needed. So they have complied with the act by stating Hand Wash, and don't need to say further, "only"
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Chris
To explain further. The cardigan's instructions for washing state, Hand wash in warm water. It does not say only. It does refer to several do not's like do not tumble dry. It does not say do not wash in washing machine. We have a late model Bosch which has a Wool function and shows hands as an icon. This function is specifically for such garments. I have referred the retailer to the Consumer Goods Act section 6 and they are now consulting with their head office in Australia.
It is certainly worth asking, and they may replace. But I do not think they need to say "do not machine wash" as the warning is in my view adequate. But they may replace because it is good for customer relations.