Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

I am in possession of a disability permit and is using the

Customer Question

I am in possession of a disability permit and is using the disabled parking space allowed for disabled people. Although I don't have a wheelchair I have to use cruthches as I need to have a knee replacement done.
My employer has a problem with this, as they say this is for clients only and say that I am not entitled to park there.
What is my legal rights in this matter?
The staff feel that I am benefitting from parking there as they don't have parking provided for them and my employer feel that I am using the space which should be used by their clients.
Thanks
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
Your employer must respect your disability as well as the rights of customers. So there needs to be a balance between their use and your use. So there is no reason why you cannot use the park