Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

What does Defamation of Character mean??

Customer Question

Category: New Zealand Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just to explain why I am asking:A family member had investigated me on Fraud. She had sent documents to "Police Commission Serious Fraud Division. The results of that investigation, I believe, Not warranted, insufficient evidence. In the mean time I have stressed for the last 2 months awaiting an outcome. I was not allowed to contact anyone OR other siblings were not permitted to contact me as of the instructions of the family member who has made these accusations. I was just wondering if Defamation of Character would be the correct procedure???? If I pursue this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my email is:***@******.***
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
This is protected by law when you make a complaint to the police, but can be defamatory if reported outside that to others like work colleagues or members of your family. It is necessary to prove malice in the statements and that they were made with intent to hurt you. The statements must be untrue and without any foundation. They need to show that you are a person of low character or dishonest or some similar attack
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Chris,Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would need to sit in front of a Lawyer to understand legal wording??? But thank you.
Actually if what was said was wrong and hurtful and damaging that would be defamation. If this was just said to the police then you can't sue. But to anyone outside of the complaint that is defamation