How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 22760
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am trying to divorce my husband we married in India, he came

Customer Question

I am trying to divorce my husband we married in India, he came to NZ then went to America. I think he just used me to get to NZ. He now has a green card and co-owns a house in America with a woman, who according to their facebook pages don't have any relationship but she has his last name on house ownership. I am sure that they have married so that he could get his green card. I have contacted the Atlanta police twice with no reply. To divorce him surely I need to prove I am his legal wife. Should I contact a lawyer here or in America to divorce him?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
You can get the marriage dissolved in New Zealand provided you have been separated from him for two years or more. You can use the evidence of marriage in India, and if you have an Indian marriage certificate the family Court in New Zealand has the power to dissolve the marriage. It is likely to be much easier to do this in New Zealand although you will need to arrange to serve the application for dissolution on him. If you are unsure of where he lives, but have Facebook or email contacts, you can probably get a court order to serve by Facebook or email.

Related New Zealand Law Questions