Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

My grandson has been arrested his partner

Customer Question

My grandson has been arrested for assaulting his partner while intoxicated. The police arrested him at about 7.00 a.m. this morning. He is being held at Auckland central Police station. His partner is going to withdraw the statement, he says.
Can I get a lawyer to
a. get him out on bail
b. to support him with the assault charge?
While I don't dispute he was drunk and squeezed his partner's neck his partner has just left my house and has no physical marks on him.
i am not familiar with dealing with this sort of situation so need some advice.
THank You
Christine XXXXXX
ph XXXXXXXXX
mob.XXXXXXXXX
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
You grandson will be able to get bail in the morning although it will be on terms he cannot contact his partner. He can see the duty lawyer to discuss the plea and the terms of bail when he is at court and then decide if he wants to instruct his own lawyer. He cant get bail until he goes to court however because of the rules about family violence. This is an assault although it doesnt appear too serious, but usually the sentence is community work and attending course on alcohol and anger management
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the information. Actually I went to the police station before I got your reply and they did let him out on bail that afternoon. He went to court on Monday and put in a no plea and has now got a lawyer for the hearing in two weeks.
That's good. Sorry you weren't able to see the answer earlier