Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

Vanessa here about the garden railway again. do we have

Customer Question

hi Vanessa here about the garden railway again. do we have to go to a lawyer to get things started? there are no receipts as mum moved after dad died. we have photos and may be able to get hold of the person who sold most of it to dad and mum. it is worth
a lot of money and she did say she did not want the new family to benefit from it. she may have led him to believe that he could have them but I would have still been with him. she and him did go shares in a fancy train after I had left. sorry to be a pain
but am trying to help her. think it has been less than 6 years.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
You don't need a lawyer to go to the disputes tribunal, although sometimes it is helpful to ask a lawyer to send the first letter of demand asking for payment. The person who sold to your parents would be useful for a valuation for the claim. So I suggest have a discussion with that person. The real issue would be whether this was a gift or should have been paid for. It may come down to who the tribunal referee thinks is telling the truth.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you very much. I will start the ball rolling and quiz mum a bit more as she can be a bit silly giving things away when they could help her live a wee bit better. she and dad have never been rich so it would be lovely if she could get something. do both parties face the referee like a court?
Yes but not as formal as a court, and the referee will try to help them settle this too.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you very much chris. you have helped a lot.
Glad to help