Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

I am a NZ citizen. If I marry a lady from Ukraine what are

Customer Question

I am a NZ citizen. If I marry a lady from Ukraine what are the requirements for her to reside with me in N.Z.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
The principal requirement to obtain a partnership visa for a new spouse, is that you must have been together for twelve months to demonstrate that it is a long-term relationship. This can be difficult because the maximum duration for a tourist Visa is generally nine months before further renewals can be obtained. Often there is a combination of you living with her in the Ukraine, and her visiting on a tourist Visa, and then making an application for the partnership visa. But the Immigration Department do require the twelve months of living together as a basic start to your application. There are the usual other issues of getting a health clearance and criminal clearance. In some cases it may be possible for her to obtain a work permit but only if she is on one of the lists of priority employment categories. I can give you details of those if you need that.