Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

Im pregnant due mid September I work full time my boss has

Customer Question

hi im pregnant due mid September I work full time my boss has the business on the market he is taunting me about not getting maternity leave if he sells he's also verbally abusing me its got to the point im making myself ill not wanting to go to work I don't think I can take much more the doctor has advised me to stop work for my and the babys health if I stop am I still entitled to maternity leave
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
The issue of the maternity leave will depend on whether he actually sells the business, and whether the new owner will continue to employ the staff. If you are entitled to the leave because you have been there for the required period of time then he must give you the leave. But if the new owner doesnt retain the staff, this could be more difficult. However it is wrong for him to use this as a threat, and you can tell him that this is workplace bullying and that you will claim a personal grievance unless he stops.