Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

There, we have a3 1/2 year old adopted daughter and have

Customer Question

Hi there, we have a3 1/2 year old adopted daughter and have had her since she was 2 weeks old. Her birth grandparents have had visitation to her, but lately they are getting very demanding. Wanting her to stay overnight and for weekends. They also demand to see her 2 weekly or monthly at the least. What are my rights as a parent. They are implying they have rights, and I was under the assumption they have no rights, only priviledges. Hopefully you can help me with this. Cheer Maree
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
If your child was legally adopted then her birth parents have no rights to contact under the Care of Children Act, or other legislation. They can ask, but you have no obligation to do what they want. Only those with a legal relationship can ask for contact. So they need to be told that they have no rights which can be enforced in court.