Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

An ex client is slandering my name, professionalism and business

Customer Question

an ex client is slandering my name, professionalism and business on facebook, ido i ignore it or take action
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
You could start by asking him to remove this or face a defamation action, and you could also ask Facebook if theywouldremove the posts. Defamation is an expensive procedure best handled by experienced counsel so you need to balance the costs against the damage he is doing or whether this can be weathered and survived by you.
Sometimes bringing a court action can also bring undue publicity. But also sometimes you have no choice where this is already out in the open. If your aim is just for removal and /or retraction of the comments that is a easier. But he would have to be worth suing if you want financial damages