Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

I'm about to be let go or made redundant because of a physical

Customer Question

I'm about to be let go or made redundant because of a physical disability. My contract says no redundancy but my employers have not signed it.
: How can they dismiss me
: Can I get redundancy
Thanks
Mark
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately there is no automatic right to redundancy in employment law. The only right you have is to be consulted, the position discussed with you, and appropriate notice given based on your time employed. It does not matter if your contract is not signed unfortunately. The obligation is to give you a copy of the contract. It is important when someone is made redundant that proper procedure is followed. There must be a genuine reason for letting you go, and it cannot be because of a physical disability. If you can otherwise do the job, but just happen to have a physical disability, then it is contrary to the Human Rights Act to dismiss you.