Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

What rights do I have as an owner of a Polaris Quad bike 9

Customer Question

what rights do I have as an owner of a Polaris Quad bike 9 months from new?Ihave ongoing
problems re the transmission.Polaris have aknowleged there is a problem and it is under warranty.However they can not fix it and will not replace it unless I trade it for $15000
on a new one for $21000.P.S. We paid $21000 for it new and it has done 150 hours.
Regards Ross
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
If you are a domestic consumer as opposed to a commercial operator then you have rights under the Consumer Guarantees Act. It would be helpful if you explain whether you use this, for example as a farmer or whether this is for recreational use. In any event, you do have rights under the Sale of Goods Act if you are a business user. Under the Consumer Guarantees Act, with a limited number of miles like this, they should either repair, and since this seems to be possible, they need to replace. However to require a discount of $6000 is excessive, and does not reflect your rights under either of the 2 acts. At 150 hours, this quad bike should be replaced as this is not extensive use, and the transmission should not have failed. If they cannot fix this, then you are entitled to a replacement, and in my view without discount.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Chris I am unable to print your reply from this programme ,could you please send your reply to *****@******.***
cheers Ross
I cant reply to that email, but can I suggest you print as follows. Press the control key and the P key at the same time, and this will bring up the print menu for your computer. You can then print this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can we email you the warranty and other correspondence to allow you to proceed
regards Ross
I cannot accept instructions from this site but I can suggest lawyers close to you, if you advise your city,suburb